Fifty Years In The Northwest: With An Introduction And Appendix Containing Reminiscences, Incidents And Notes · William H. C. Folsom
Section 35, is also a station on the West Wisconsin road, and an
Chapter 31 of 49 · 5 min read
important manufacturing place. The village is owned and controlled by the Wilson Manufacturing Company, which has a capital stock of $150,000. There is one church in the village.
STANTON
Was set off from Star Prairie and organized Dec. 30, 1870, with Trueworthy Jewell as chairman of supervisors. It is a rich prairie town, well drained by the waters of Apple and Willow rivers, and well cultivated. The North Wisconsin railroad passes southwest to northeast through this town. Star Prairie village lies partly in this town and partly in the town of Star Prairie. There are two church buildings in the town of Stanton.
STAR PRAIRIE,
Township 31, range 18, was organized Jan. 28, 1856. At its organization it included township 31, ranges 17 and 18, and north half of township 30, ranges 17 and 18. The first election was held at the house of B. C. B. Foster, in New Richmond. Apple river flows through the town from northeast to southwest. Cedar lake, in the northeast part, furnishes at its outlet a good water power. Among the first settlers were the Jewell brothers, Ridder and sons.
HUNTINGTON VILLAGE
Is located near the outlet of Cedar lake and on the stream by which the waters of the lake are borne to Apple river. It has a large flouring mill.
STAR PRAIRIE VILLAGE,
Lying partially in sections 1 and 12 and partially in Stanton, has a saw and flouring mill, a hotel, a school house and two churches, with some fine residences.
HON. R. K. FAY, born in 1822, came from New York to Wisconsin in 1849, locating at Princeton, where he resided for nine years, most of the time engaged as the principal of the high school at that place. He was a man of sterling character, who is remembered as an able teacher and public spirited citizen. He has been assemblyman from Adams and St. Croix counties, and a county superintendent of schools, and has taught school forty-nine terms. When a member from St. Croix county, he introduced the bill requiring the constitutions of the United States and of Wisconsin to be taught in the common schools. He died at his home in Star Prairie, Jan 5, 1888. Five sons and five daughters survive him. His wife died about three years ago.
TROY,
Township 28, range 19, and fractional township 28, range 19, consisting of about three sections, lying along the shore of Lake St. Croix, has a fine frontage of bluffs overlooking the lake, with rich, level prairie lands stretching away eastward. The Kinnikinic river flows through the southeast corner of the township. It was organized in 1851 as Malone, the name having been chosen by the Perrin brothers, who came from Malone, New York, in 1851. The name, some years later, was changed to Troy. The Hudson & Ellsworth railroad passes diagonally through the township from northwest to southeast.
The village of Glenmont, section 25, township 28, range 20, lies on the shore of Lake St. Croix. It contains a large saw mill, built by the Lord brothers. It has since changed hands.
The village of East Troy, in section 36, has recently been annexed by legislative enactment to the city of River Falls.
JAMES CHINNOCK, the first settler in Troy, was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1810. He officiated twelve years at Bristol Harbor, England, as superintendent of docks and vessels. He was married in England to Harriet Owens; came to America in 1841, lived in Ohio until 1850, when he came to Hudson and immediately located a claim within the present limits of Troy. He raised the first crop in the town, and built the first house, of stone, for greater protection from the Indians. Mr. Chinnock made his home upon this farm until his death in 1870. He left a widow and four sons, three of them farmers in Troy. One son, James T., has been register of deeds for St. Croix county from 1885 to 1888.
WILLIAM LEWIS PERRIN was born in 1825, and with his brother came to Troy in 1851, where he has since lived. He has been a successful farmer and public spirited citizen, and has filled offices in the town organization. He was married in 1855 to Julia F. Loring. They have three sons and one daughter.
WARREN,
Township 29, range 18, is a rich prairie town, drained by the tributaries of Kinnikinic and Willow river. George Longworth and family, of Waukegan, Illinois, settled here in October, 1855. In the year following, Lyman and David Sanford, brothers, came from Ohio, and made their home here. Mr. Longworth, in 1856, broke the first ground on land now within the limits of Hudson. Henry M. Sanford came in the spring of 1857.
Warren was organized as a town in 1860, with the following supervisors: Beach Sanford, George Frissell and Seth Colbeth; L. J. Sanford, clerk. A post office was established in 1860, and Mrs. Beach Sanford was appointed postmistress, at Warren village, now Roberts. The village of Roberts is located on the West Wisconsin railroad, which traverses sections 19 to 24, inclusive, of this town. It contains one elevator, one storage house, one feed mill, one cheese factory, one machine shop, one syrup mill, several stores and shops, one hotel, one school house, one public hall, and one church building belonging to the Congregationalists.
No intoxicants are sold in the village. The first school was taught in 1859, by Jane Sanford.
JAMES HILL was born in Hillsborough, New Hampshire, Feb. 15, 1825, and settled in Warren, St. Croix county, in 1863, where he engaged in farming and dealing in grain. He represented St. Croix county in the Wisconsin assembly of 1878-79-80.
TOWN PLATS LOCATED IN ST. CROIX COUNTY.
— NAME OF TOWN DATE OF PLAT. SURVEYOR. PROPRIETORS. VILLAGE. LOCATION. — Buena Vista Hudson In 1849 Harvey Wilson Louis Massey & Co. New Centreville Rush River Mch. 26, 1856 Geo. Strong Daniel McCartney. Hammond Hammond July 15, 1856 A. W. Miller Hammond & Spaulding. De Soto Hudson Aug. 15, 1857 Aptemards Burkhart. Somerset Somerset Aug. 28, 1857 Geo. Strong Harriman & Reed. Glenmont Troy Jan. 5, 1858 C. N. Bates M. Bank, Lake St. Cx. Huntington Star Prairie Sept. 24, 1858 E. W. McClure John Brown. Gridley, New} Richmond and} Richmond 1857 Gridley & Day. Fremont } Troy Troy Dec. 29, 1859 J. A. Short Cox & Powell. Boardman Richmond July 5, 1866 W. R. Anderson Beebe & Boardman. Star Prairie Star Prairie June 15, 1870 John McClure Simonds & Millard. Baldwin Baldwin Mch. 14, 1873 H. J. Baldwin D. R. Bailey. Roberts Warren Jan. 4, 1875 Geo. Strong Comstock, Platt & Co. Deer Park Cylon Jan. 25, 1879 J. W. Remmington J. A. Humbird. New Saratoga} Springs } Stanton Sept. 17, 1878 John McClure A. P. Muggey. Hersey Springfield Dec. 24, 1880 Geo. Strong L. T. Adams. Cylon Cylon Sept. 16, 1884 Alfred Pierce Beebe & McNarama. Emerald Emerald July 13, 1885 Alfred Pierce Hurd Brothers. Glenwood Glenwood Jan. 2, 1886 H. J. Baldwin Glenwood Manf. Co. Wilson Springfield 1886 West Wis. Manf. Co. Woodville Baldwin 1886 Woodville Lumber Co. Wildwood Eau Galle 1886 St. Cx. L. & Manf. Co. Brookville Eau Galle 1886 Wood & Decker. Houlton St. Joseph Not recorded —



